Sunday 14 February 2016

Behind the niom niom by Mama



I am starting a blog, always wanted to write something, to share my ideas, views - have loads of them, but there's always a small doubt that stops you from doing it. Oh, people will laugh, criticise you - all that negative stuff which just stops you from doing it.

I woke up this morning saying it's enough of doubts, actions speak for themselves!

So here I am, a young mum (consider myself such still) writing about baby food. Boring? Then, don't read it :) That's what my life revolves around now. My baby boy Benjamin is 9 months old at the moment and is interested in every piece of food you give him. And when I started cooking for him ''normal human food'', I was in a light shock. It is all day in a kitchen!!! Cooking, cleaning, washing dishes and all over again! It was changed within few weeks, I got into it, got sucked by creating loads of various recipes and clapping hands when the little one loves it and exploding inside when he refuses to eat it! Why about baby food, why not photography (which I consider myself to be good at) or skiing (awesome here as well) or some other sarcastic views (love it). It's what fills my day and I have strong views about it.

Baby food, I see it as you have been given a chance to shape little ones eating habits. How you prepare him now - that's how he's going to be whole of his life. Be interested in food. Know what good and healthy food is. Love family dinners, etc. I consider the whole process as a big responsibility, not to be personally judgmental, but buying baby food without being informed what's in it, you run the risk of creating bad eating habits. What if you ate fast food every day for lunch? :) I am writing about cooking, preparing, buying fresh groceries, vitamins, various combinations of products, likes/dislikes, healthy recipes.

If you think, oh, it's another vegan freak promoting green world. Not exactly. I am against raising children vegetarian or vegan if you don't have enough knowledge about how to do it. They will choose on their own if you give them choices to try everything, right?


It all started for us pretty early as Benjamin was keen to eat what mummy and daddy are having, so we tried giving him ''human food'' when he was 5 months old. It was just a game - to taste. Steam cooked potato and then mashed, the same with apple. So just playing around with the tastes. And then it was, omg, it's getting serious, I don't really have enough knowledge how the baby food process goes. So I freaked out a bit, then went to this pretty good lecture, at that time we lived in Vilnius, Lithuania, the lecturer was a children's doctor and the founder of 'Sveika Pradžia' clinic. I was pretty happy about the information, just still needed something to have with me all the time, not to google every question I get while making baby food. So I googled again recommended literature. Loads of it. But having finished Communications bachelor studies, for sure, I know, not every piece of information that is out there, is for you. So after loads of research and reviews I found this book, which I think is very handy, unfortunately only in Lithuanian (to my knowledge).


Loads of great tips, divided into understandable sequence by baby's age. written by a mum with the help of children's doctors and other people educated in this field. A must have for every interested mama. Guided by this book, I have been creating my own combinations of goodies for my little one.

Currently we all live in Austria, skiing, snow and all that goodness around! My favorite hashtag on Instagram is #iliveinthemountains. It is a really awesome feeling to live here just one drawback, concerning baby and food in general - we live kind of in the middle of nowhere, few shops, no food markets, oh, that's not true really, they have food markets here full of nicely smoked hams and cheeses (Austrians are crazy about that stuff), doesn't really suit babies, right? So if you go to the shop to look for baby food (I was doing that in the beginning for travels and so), there are full shelves of baby food from Hipp and Nestle. And what? It's disgusting! Have you tried it? Doesn't matter what it says on the label: corn, rice, potato, chicken or beef - it all tastes the same! Taste of mashed potatoes with carrots - I wouldn't eat that myself for money, why should I give this to my baby?!

More about food for travelling, later.


All babies are different, all families and habits as well, I just believe it's our as mothers responsibility to give all the best and a good start for further eating habits. Throughout the blog I will try to share my experiences, recipes and all information gathered from my friends, books, internet. If you're with me - I will be delighted!!! xxx


Yours,


niom niom by Mama Egle


Follow me on Intagram: niom_niom_by_mama

No comments:

Post a Comment