Sunday 14 February 2016

Your highness, breakfast Porridge!

I love porridge! I always did when I was a kid and later, even now once in a while porridge for breakfast, yummy!
This morning I made wheat porridge with mango and banana for Benjamin. I want to share this simple recipe with you.

Products used:
Two spoons of wheat grits
Less then half of mango
4 slices or so of banana

How I made it:
I always immerse any grits I use in the water for the night, so the next morning it cooks very quick.
Cut all the fruit and pour some boiling water on them. I always do that with whatever fruit, just kills any potential bacteria and warms it up a bit. And then mash it all together.
And a little teaspoon of cold pressed oil of your choice. Every day I give Benjamin a teaspoon of cold press hemp oil (cannabis oil in other words), oh noooo, or linseed oil. As I don't use any artificial Vitamin D, both of these oils have everything what it is needed (I will write about cold pressed oils on baby's menu on the other post)!



From time to time I mix few cranberries into porridge as it the best natural antibiotic known, right?

As Benjamin is 9 months and has 8 teeth already, I don't mash everything very neatly, leave pieces in the porridge for chewing. When he was younger I used to mash everything into one mass, so no chewy bits would be left as choking baby is a big nightmare for me!

Grits
I use loads of grits in baby's menu as well as in all family's. I was recommended by our baby doctor to start introducing meat before the grits, though in the literature I read differently. So I tried grits first and then meat as, in my head, grits are lighter to digest than meat. Cannot state it as a fact, but it worked well for us! By now Benjamin has already tasted and approved these grits: rice, buckwheat (lt: ryžiai), barley (lt: miežiai), already mentioned wheat, couscous, pearl barley (lt: perlinės kruopos), quinoa, corn grits, semolina (lt: manai). I use these grits for lunch or dinner menu as well. I want to write a bit more about buckwheat as I think it's a great and undervalued product.
We use a lot of buckwheat. Why? Well, first, it's tasty! Buckwheat are very nutritious and contains loads of vitamins, like calcium, zinc, phosphorus, vitamin B, iodine, etc. I use non dried buckwheat. And it's cheap! An interesting fact about buckwheat is that it is laxative (lt: laisvina vidurius). So if your beloved one can't poo for some time, try giving him buckwheat, I tried it, it works! So massive plus goes to this grit, recommended.

Few simple breakfast porridge recipes that I have made and Benjamin loves them.

Buckwheat 
Blueberries
Banana

Rice (normally I used Basmati, as it's softer and cooks quicker)
Pumpkin
Apple 
Banana

Couscous
Plum
Banana 

Basically, it is not an invention this morning porridge. What I do is, I change different grits every morning and different fruit. I always use banana as it thickens the whole thing.

Buon Apetit!

niom niom by Mama xx

Follow me on Instagram: niom_niom_by_mama

2 comments: